We Are Called to Act with Justice
We Are Called to Love Tenderly
We Are Called to Serve One
Another

to Walk Humbly with God

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Mr. R's Hearing

These next couple months have become quite full of Social Security work for me. For the past few months, I have been researching medical records and Social Security law for my SSI/SSDI clients. These clients are waiting to find out whether they are approved for disability benefits, some waiting since July 2007. They have applied and have been denied twice due to ambiguity in their applications. Often, Social Security has failed to obtain their medical records; at other times, SSA has not read their application right when in reality, there is sufficient evidence to deem them disabled. One example of this is Mr. Q., whose application was approved in the “Pre-Hearing Review” stage, meaning Mr. Q. and I didn’t have to go to hearing; the judge felt the file had sufficient evidence, despite two previous denials.

My first hearing was this past week for Mr. R. Mr. R. suffers from severe depression, Hepatitis C, HIV, asthma, knee problems, a thumb problem, and diabetes. He came into Bread for the City in September, and since then, we had been working together to get his case ready for hearing. Through many conversations with Mr. R., I found my own heart being touched by his experience. SSI was no longer just a public benefit, but rather, SSI became a real concept, a reality and a need for Mr. R. As we sat in the Legal Clinic, talking about his case, listening to his story helped me realize that this hearing is not just about a “win” for me; rather, it is about Mr. R., and guaranteeing that he will have an income for the rest of his life. The more we sat together, the more I realized how much Mr. R. was depending on a Fully Favorable Decision, prompting me to give more and become more invested in his case.

I am grateful to be able to say I am confident we were able to get him a Fully Favorable Decision. As we wait for the judge’s written decision, I have turned my attention to two other cases whose hearings are in March. I will always remember Mr. R.’s case as my first SSI case, and I am grateful and thankful for the many conversations we had in the Legal Clinic.

No comments:

Post a Comment